Just add natural ingredients that are as simple as cream, sugar, and vanilla in one end then add ice and rock salt in the other end. The softshell exterior makes it fun to shake, roll, and play your way to a quart of delicious ice cream in about 30 minutes.
- Wide and shallow canister makes it easy to mix ingredients and scoop out ice cream.
- The built-in handles make opening the ends easy; flip back the handle and lay it on a table to allow easy access to stir ingredients or scoop out ice cream.
- Constructed from food-safe, BPA-free materials.
- Includes Pure & Simple recipe booklet.
- Weight When Empty: 3.5 lbs.
- Weight When Full: 9.5 lbs.
- Diameter: 9" (23 cm)
- Ice Cream Capacity: 1 Quart/32 fl. oz.
- Approximate Play Time: 30 minutes
WARNING: SoftShell Ice Cream Ball is to be used under the direct supervision of an adult. Use caution when handling and disposing of ice and water mixture, as it may be extremely cold. DO NOT DROP, KICK, THROW, OR BOUNCE! This misuse could result in injury to the user or damage to the SoftShell Ice Cream Ball. Damage due to misuse is not covered under warranty.
TIPS TO USING YOUR ICE CREAM BALL
Complete directions are packaged inside the Ice Cream Ball. Here are some additional tips to help you get the best results:
- When you add ingredients, leave about an inch of space to allow for expansion
- If you cannot find rock salt, you can substitute table salt or kosher salt. We do not recommend using calcium chloride (used to melt driveway ice and snow)
- Hand-tighten the ball to close; use the provided plastic wrench only to open it
- To avoid damage, do not kick or throw the Ice Cream Ball
- To ensure even freezing, pause to scrape the sides of the ice cream compartment with a wooden or plastic spoon after 10 minutes of mixing (15 minutes for Quart)
- When you stop to stir the ice cream, also drain excess water from the ice end and refill with additional ice and rock salt
- Handwash both ends of the Ice Cream Ball with warm, soapy water after each use
- Pint recipes will work fine in the Quart-size Ice Cream Ball
ICE CREAM BALL RECIPES
Making the ice cream in the Quart size is the same as the Pint ball, except the proportions are different and you get A LOT more ice cream!
BASIC VANILLA ICE CREAM
- 1 quart of Cream or Half & Half (1)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons sugar
(1) In all recipes, using cream makes a richer creamier ice cream. Using Half & Half or part milk and Half & Half makes a lighter ice cream, but takes longer to freeze.
Yield: about a quart of smooth and creamy ice cream.
- Mix all the ingredients together and put into the ice cream ball
- Fill the ice portion of the ice cream ball with ice
- Add 1/2 cup rock salt to the ice
- Roll, spin, stir, toss, flip, and shake the ball around for 10 minutes
- Open up the ice cream ball, stir, close ball
- Drain some water from ice section, add more ice and salt.
- Roll, spin, stir, toss, flip, and shake for another 10 minutes
- Enjoy your tasty homemade ice cream at the campsite or in the backyard!
OTHER ICE CREAM BALL RECIPES
Here are just a few ice cream flavor variations.
Use the Basic Vanilla Ice Cream recipe with these other great flavors. Try creating your own using all these great recipes for inspiration.
Beat softened or melted butter (2 tablespoons) in with 4 tbs cream and sugar until completely blended. Add 1/3 cup chopped pecans (plain or roasted).
Add up to 1/2 cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips or shaved chocolate.
Increase sugar to 1 cup. Dissolve 3 tablespoons instant coffee in smallest amount of very warm
water. Add to base.
Add 2 tablespoon brandy and 2 tablespoon rum. Dash of nutmeg!
Add 4 tablespoons crÃ¨me de menthe and 1/2 cup (about 8) crumbled chocolate cookies (sandwich or wafer type).
HOT COCOA ICE CREAM
Mix 3 to 4 packets of hot cocoa mix with cream or half & half in a container. Shake well, add to metal cylinder, PLAY AND FREEZE.
KAHLUA AND CREAM
Add 8 tablespoons Kahlua mid-way through freezing.
Crumble about 8 macaroons into cream mixture. Optional: add 1/2 teaspoon almond extract; macaroon may be soaked in sherry (about 1/2 cup) before adding.
MILK AND JAM
Add 4 to 5 tablespoons of your favorite jam to the milk in a container, shake well. Pour into metal cylinder then PLAY AND FREEZE. Enjoy raspberry, strawberry etc. ice cream.
MINT CHOCOLATE CHIP
Add 1/2 teaspoon mint extract and 1/3 cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips (or shaved chocolate). Optional: add a few drops of green food coloring.
Add 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candy. Optional: add a few drops red food coloring and/or 1/4 teaspoon mint extract.
RUM AND RAISIN
Soak 4 tablespoons raisins in 4 tablespoons rum for 30 minutes. Chop raisins, and then return to rum to continue soaking. Add toward the middle of freezing process.
Add 4 tablespoons rum and 1/2 cup freshly grated coconut. Toasted Coconut
Add 3/4 cup lightly toasted shredded coconut. Optional: add 1/2 teaspoon almond extract.